Thursday, September 02, 2010

Local Tennis Star Irina Falconi Represents Inwood at the U.S. Open

Local Tennis Star Irina Falconi Represents Inwood at the U.S. Open

After honing her tennis skills on the public courts of Inwood Hill Park, Irina Falconi competed at the U.S. Open Monday.

"It was definitely a surreal experience, having the crowd for me, and having a lot of the people I grew up with there cheering me on," Falconi told the New York Times, after becoming the only American woman among the 16 qualifiers. "It was really rewarding."

Former Inwood resident Led Black remembers watching Falconi practice when the two lived at the same Seaman Avenue address back in the 1990s.

"I remember seeing her and her father, who was a former pro soccer player in his native Ecuador, training everyday," Black wrote on his blog Uptown Collective. "It seems all that hard work has paid off."

That's my neighborhood!

No comments: