Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rosie the Riveter Lives!

My son just sent me a copy of a report he worked on for Hard-Hatted Women. It is an interesting document. While clearly focused on local (Ohio) issues it also contains material of wider interest.

As I have been (slowly) reading Nick Kristof's and Sheryl WuDunn's Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, which stresses the importance of women's education around the world, one of the organizations mentioned in the Hard-Hatted Women report particularly caught my eye. Rosie's Girls (named after Rosie the Riveter) which runs three-week summer camp programs which acquaint girls in grades 6-8 with basic carpentry, electrical, and metal-working skills in what looks like a VERY enjoyable environment (although, if you ask me, they need a better camp song!):

No comments: